Massage during pregnancy is therapeutic bodywork which focuses on the special needs of the mother-to-be as her body goes through the dramatic changes of the childbirth experience, as well as nurturing the baby. It is a wonderful experience which provides much needed support to a body going through major changes, and helps the body to prepare for birth. Pregnancy is an important moment for a woman to feel connected to her body and baby. Touch is vital to the mother's physical and emotional well-being as she adapts to her new body image.
There are many benefits to having regular massage during pregnancy. It can help many minor ailments experienced during pregnancy such as aching hips, backache and heavy sore legs due to fluid retention. It can also help with the emotional preparation for giving birth.
Massage during pregnancy is safe. However, if there are any complications, approval from your primary health care provider might be required. Because of the physical and hormonal changes that occur in the mother, I do not perform massage during the first trimester.
- Eases muscular discomfort
- Helps the relief of neck and back pain
- Helps with sciatic pain and cramps
- Relieves stress on weight bearing joints
- Reduces stress hormones in the body
- Relieves depression or anxiety caused by hormonal changes
- Increases blood circulation, which brings more oxygen and nutrients to the cells of mother and foetus
- Provides emotional support
- Induces relaxation
- Promotes easier and deeper sleep
- Reduces swelling in hands and feet